Sunday, October 21, 2007

Injury :(




Since the training weekend detailed below I have had pain in my right knee. It wasn't too painful, so I rested it by not training at all for a week. The following weekend was the British School's Score Championships. My knee had settled down a bit after a weeks rest so I ran at the Score Champs (coming 4th in Boy's Year 12/13). BRGS Upper School Boy's Team won the trophy :) (best 6 scores from years 10-13 counting).


However after the minibus journey home from Sussex my knee was painful again. So I rested it again and went to see a physiotherapist. She diagnosed that my knee cap was rubbing, as it was not moving correctly up and down its groove in my femur. This was due to the fact that my quads were overdeveloped on the outside of my thigh and underdeveloped on the inside. This caused my knee cap to be pulled diagonally to the outside as opposed to the inside.


To counteract this I have to do squats on one leg and weights in the gym to build up the inside of my thigh as well as resting from training/running for two weeks. At the moment my right leg diameter measures one inch less than my left both above and below my knee. By the time I go back for a check with my physio in two weeks I need to have built up the muscle mass and have equal diameters on both legs!


I'm doing all the prescribed exercises and hoping to be fit again for the next NWJS training weekend and Delamere Forest event early in November.

1 comment:

D said...

"Cross train for overall conditioning and to allow specific muscles to rest. Cross training will also alleviate boredom and staleness."